Sunday, February 1, 2015

Charles Person: Week 3: Castle

 For the castle I decided I wanted to take it in a slightly less fortification direction and more of a haunted house feel. I've always liked the idea of clearly mismatched things pushed together, in this case the stone watchtower and dilapidated old house. One particular inspiration for the house itself was the titular mansion from the game Luigi's Mansion, which primarily contributed the slightly tapered lines of the house.

The model was mainly created through uniting and subtracting from simple boolean shapes. I used the taper tool to give the house a subtle effect of caving in on itself by having all the edges curve inward. The stones on top of the tower's rim were actually placed and rotated by hand as I wasn't sure of using the tool that does that manually, something I'll have to work with more in the future.

For the materials I primarily wanted older, rougher looking woods and some kind of simple stone for the tower and walls. In addition to this I wanted some kind of tarnished metal for the spikes on the wall, though I probably should have found a more tarnished and rusted looking metal. In retrospect I tiled the stone parts too much in an attempt to make the overall model look large.
 Ghosted

 Ghosted with layers

  
 Bird's eye render
Perspective render

No comments:

Post a Comment