Sunday, February 1, 2015

Jenna Bastian: Week 3 Castle

At first I was going for a medieval style, but I was new to Rhino and didn't know how to subtract surfaces from other objects so I made many, many towers on a platform instead.  I then felt those were plain so I added rectangular structures criss-crossing the platform, and then spikey edges on some bits to add diversity to the shapes. I was hoping the castle would have an intricate, yet tough feel.

I used the Revolve tool to draw the outer line of the side of the tower and revolve around itself to create them. The copy/paste function was used many times with the three different types of towers and the spikes. I then drew a spikey shape with a curve tool and extrude/tapered it.

As I was texturing it in KeyShot I was first going for orange and blue colors but it looked too funky. So then I went toward a steampunk look with bronze color for the gem towers and metal spikes (I still used blue for the pyramids but it's not so visible). I didn't mess around with the lighting and environment, since I forgot to. I found out later when viewed from above it looked like the sun, it came out different than my original idea of medieval castle but I liked how it turned out.

Ghosted images from Rhino and KeyShot renders:

Ghosted in Rhino


Layered in Rhino

Keyshot Render #1
Keyshot Render #2

No comments:

Post a Comment