Sunday, November 9, 2014

Blake Philley - Lamp

My lamp for this week was a bit of a challenge, because make it look a little futuristic. The metroid series and media like that has been on my mind lately so I took some inspiration from science fiction-y art. This is an example of the kind of stuff that my lamp was inspired by:




I like the shape of the energy cell itself, and the tripod stand it has and incorporated those kinds of shapes into my lamp. I also wanted to shape my lamp a bit like a healing tank and make it a bit heavier in the back.

The actual base mesh is really boring because I tried to build this object thinking more about how it was going to look as a grillage object rather than a base mesh. I left the front open and free of slices because I wanted to preserve the feeling that you're looking into it, and the back is a solid piece rather than something transparent.

I used booleans to create my object, and the contour command for the blue slices, but I use the section command to create the red slices since they needed to be placed in specific locations.


I like the darker shade of wood much better than the lighter. I think it brings out the light a lot more, the contrast looks really nice.


Update:
Got a picture of the finished lamp. It did not work anywhere near as well as I had hoped. There wasn't enough support on the open end, so it ended up not working as well and being really heavy on that end. I had to glue a lot of it together.




No comments:

Post a Comment