Monday, November 17, 2014

Andrew Kelly: Project 6: Architectonic Lamp

Thematic Description
     I wanted to make a device that would fit in with my home's current aesthetic - a little strange, a little spartan, with interesting shadows, and I wanted to see what types of things rhino would get out of lofting different N-gons.

Build Notes
    I made it a half-sheet for some reason I can't remember (material warping maybe?) and the lamp layout was as you see below:



However, I failed to account for the height of the bulb in the design, and once I assembled the lamp the bulb basically half-emerged from the top. By a thrilling turn of chance, I had decided to get a full sheet cut, giving me two lamps but with only a single light kit; the lamps' vertical ribs lined up!

The Double-Lamp!

I am intensely happy about this accidentally wonderful lamp - I'm thinking about getting some vaguely-opaque, non-flammable sheet material and rolling it into a tube, and inserting it, so the bulb gives a more diffused, uniform light. Tested with a paper-towel for reference: 

No comments:

Post a Comment