Sunday, November 2, 2014

The-Phong "James" Pham: Week 10 Waffles

 I kept having an error when proceeding to the massive unroll step. I assumed it might have been because I did something wrong with the model, so I tried again with a simple cube but still came across the same error. I would then try to do it manually, but I couldn't get rid of the surfaces and organize only the curves for the laser cutter. I am hoping the issue is just with my computer at home, and I will try it again on campus.




I figured out the issue, I had forgot to place the curves on another layer.




I referenced my own work for this this assignment, I looked at my flashlight assignment and wanted to emulate a similar structure. I created a cylinder and the created rectangular prisms to use the booleandifference command to cut out shapes out of the cylinder. I then used the section tool instead of the contour tool because the contour tool would sometimes line it up in such away were curves would overlap and cause problems later on with the planar curve tool. So I used the section tool to avoid that, and also give it more variation. 



For the keyshot rendering I was looking around campus and I liked the geometric shapes and cool colors presented in some of the buildings. I went for a brushed aluminium and a blue finished aluminum look. 





7 comments:

  1. I'm getting the same error, I keep thinking its due to having too many slices; but I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. correction its the Cutmyownribs script that keeps failing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a similar issue with Cutmyribs. I tried flipping the X and Y selections and the script ran further but still failed.

      Delete
    2. it seems you have to do slices in single digit bites i.e. 1-3 on one axis and 4-9 in the other

      Delete
    3. I'm not following you, care to elaborate? Thanks.

      Delete
  4. you can only have between 1-9 planar surfaces selected per axis when doing 'cutmyribs' script

    ReplyDelete