Sunday, November 2, 2014

Nathaniel Propp: Slots

Statement of Purpose : For this project I wanted to create a pieces that were not organic and used hard edges, as well as, very smooth organic shapes. Mixed with the slightly altered common connection pieces, that are both organic and rigid, I think some interesting structures could be made. For inspiration I looked at organic images and rigid objects, and  then the transition from one state to other.




Modeling Techniques : While drawing the curves, I relied heavily on the draw curve functions in Rhino i.e: polyline, and control point curve, circle, square. I also utilized the mirror functions and the Ortho, Grid snap and Near Snaps were vital to the process.


Material Choice: For my first cut I chose the plywood underlayment to save money as it is only 10 dollars for a 24x48 inch board. 

Post Cut : It was a good plan to go with a cheaper material because I trusted the measurements posted on the sign at Home Depot and it was not exact and left my slots too large. I learned the importance of measuring my materials with calipers.



No comments:

Post a Comment