Sunday, November 2, 2014

Blake Philley: Week 10 Grillage

For this week's grillage project I was inspired by a kind of inverted fountain shape, but I wanted to imagine it more like it was an object designed to hold fire instead of water.




I wanted to make an object with a similar feel to the inverted fountain, though it would have to be very different since it is functionally completely the oppoesite of a fountain. I opted for something with a strong and heavy feel to it, so I made the base much larger than the top and used pyramids as supports for it. I worked into more organic shapes as the object moved upwards. This is what I created:


I had a lot of trouble making this. The first few times I tried the scripts bugged out and would delete large sections of my creation so I eventually scaled it down and used fewer slices. That fixed the issues I was having and I ended up liking the way that looked more than the previous version. The objects were booleaned together to create the base shape and from there I used the same kind of techniques that professor Scott showed us in class to create the object itself. These are the renders I took:



 I like the darker wood material I used a lot more than the lighter stone, but I would have preferred a much darker, gray stone material. I think that would have looked much better than both of these.

Unfortuantely the object didn't quite get shaped the way I wanted. Since I had to edit the original design a lot to get it to work it lost one of my favorite parts. The small cup shape at the top is a lot less defined than I woud like.

Update:

I like the printed object a lot. It still has some of the shape issues I talked about before, but I think it works overall. This one also had the slots printed to be way too large, and I still don't know what I did wrong. Though I could actually glue the whole object together and get it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment