Sunday, November 2, 2014

Chris Venable: Week 10 Waffles

For this project I really wanted use the waffle structure to create a simple representational piece. Since it is finally getting cooler here in Dallas and the clocks have change, I decided to create a simple Oak leaf.

I am really attracted to this shape because it is both simple and recognizable. I began my process by finding reference online. I specifically chose a White Oak leaf because I felt that the roundness of the edges would contrast nicely with the vacancy that waffle structures create along the structure's exterior. 

Here is an image of the original model created in 3Ds Max. The silhouette of the model was created using spline object, which were then converted into polygons for optimization and further control. After finalizing a flat version of the model, deformations were used to further shape the structure.


 I then brought the model into Rhino with the intention of creating contours, ribs, and layouts. However, I ran into some problems in this area. When running the Cutmyribs script I kept getting errors that halted the running of the script. I took a screenshot posted below. 


I went back over the tutorial videos many times to try and find the problem, but kept running into the same issue. I even tried flipping the X and Y selections, and while that seemed to let the script run longer it would always eventually halt.

I did do ahead and get some rendering of my structure, but I was not able to complete the layout at this time. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. I'm really not sure what could be causing the issues.

Here are my renders


Again, if anyone ran into similar issues, or thinks they may have a solution I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

---EDIT---

While in class I re-ran the CutMyRibs script with fewer curves and had success, as a result my structure has changed. New renders and content below.

Rhino
 Architectural Context
Original Photo by Tim Griffith
Edit - 12/14
Pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment