Monday, November 3, 2014

Shelandy Ting: week10 : Waffle

I was inspired by the  ideal of open furniture design from the https://www.opendesk.cc.   I like to use laser cut plywood board to make bendable surface of complex curvatures for a beautiful love seat.  Even through I am not able to make the surface now, at least I can test my idea of designing contours by making supportive frame by waffle alike structure.  I won't say I was inspired by the shape of the "Banquete Chair with Pandas" (2006) made by Fernando + Humberto Campana .  However I did think of making a cute love seat which having a implicit shape suggesting of some kind of cute creature. 

I did not use the traditional 4-legs style for the seat.  There are two reasons for that:
1.  It looks cute to have a tail-alike 3rd leg, which implicitly make it look like a abstract creature with a tail.
2.  For those love seat, people tend to place the center of weight toward to the back.  This may be more stable than 4-legs chair.  
  
I simply use some spheres and ellipses to make the handles, feet and other parts, by using mesh boolean difference and merge mesh of parts together. The more difficult things is to to fine tune the angles in 3D space so that the whole thing is both functional and good looking.  I did try to use ChamferSrf to smooth the join between the 3rd leg and the base.  It did not look better than without the smoothing.  So I keep it the original simple join.  Sometimes, simple is better.  


This is the preview of the structure


The "BetterMassiveUnroll.rvb" script I used to unroll the fragment has lots of problem of the slots.  I almost redo all of them, and rescale some of the labels.  Finally, this is how the cut sheet looks alike.


This is how the massing form and grillage form extruded to proper material thickness look alike in the same image


I add  two renderings of keyshot.  Both are my intend of choice to make the chair in the full scale.  The First  one use Reflective Transparent and Red Glass, we can also use acyclic for the same effect.
 

 The second one use Mahogany Wood texture.



The actual result with a low resolution camera




 

No comments:

Post a Comment