Monday, November 3, 2014

Sara DeShong-Baker Project 5: Waffle Structure

(week 11)

INSPIRATION:
I honestly just wanted to make a structure that resembled a bicycle, although the result looks much more futuristic and motorized. This likely resulted because I was trying imitate the aesthetic of large wheels, wide clearances, and odd geometry of downhill mountain (push) bikes and MotoGP style of (motor) bikes.
Downhill Mountain Bike

GP Example

TRON light bike



DESIGN:
To achieve this shape, I first created 2 identical spheres to represent the wheels. Then I created a cone, offset a copy, and then mirrored it to create a shape for the body section. The final shape was manipulated using rotate and boolean union.

Ghosted ribs from perspective view.

 
Colored ribs from top view.

Once the Cut My Ribs script was ran, it created quite a few problems for me. I wound up deleting the outer ribs on the mid section for lack of adequate support, plus it played more on the differing widths of the body and wheels. Someone called it 'Tron-like', which is why there's a photo from the movie in the inspiration section.

Here the problems encountered from the first run of the Ribs script can be observed. 


RENDERS:

No comments:

Post a Comment