Monday, November 17, 2014

Ed Whetstone: Project 5, Waffles (Ripple Clock)

This post has all content for Assignment 4, serial form for laser cutting.

See all updates below the fold!



Creatively, the laser cutting projects left me without a clear sense of direction.  I wanted to do something that would be more than just an interesting aesthetic shape, but had a hard time coming up with a proper idea to run with.

This was my first attempt - I liked the idea of creating a hollow space to be defined by the slices, with a spot in the center where an observer might be able to stand (this would be an architectural piece)






Ultimately, my decision to start from scratch was based on how willing I felt to keep the final product.  If it wasn't something I wanted on my desk or on my wall, I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on building it.

Along those lines, I decided to just turn my work into something functional, like the lamp project.  So, the ripple-clock was born.





The first design was too complex to be properly rendered with spaced-out slices, but I liked the overall idea.

The goal in the next shape: simplify and imply the "ripple" effect. I also decided to try for a rounded profile to really push the closure effect.



This design worked well with a minimalist clock, sourced from Amazon.  If I produce a similar product in the future, I'll fabricate the clock housing and hands myself.


(found here)

When cut out of red and black acrylic, the final product looks like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment