Sunday, November 2, 2014

Daedra Evans Project 5 - Waffles

I decided upon creating a waffle structure that was something that I find deeply moving and inspirational- a camera. I find that the camera is one of the few artistic mediums that can capture a moment in time. I searched the internet for reference images of an old Kodak camera from my youth (yes, the eighties). I wanted to create a shape that the waffle technique would break apart, yet still make the structure recognizable even in its base form. I settled for an older, square model of a Kodak camera. The links can be found here: reference imagery.




Once I determined what reference imagery I needed, I used Rhino to model out my initial pass for the waffle structure. The first thing I did was create a 48" x 24" rectangle to represent my laser bed size. I created a second reference layer that I called temporary with the laser bed dimensions, so that while modeling in the front view I would have a reference image.  



I started out by creating a rectangular shape and filleting the edges to create a bit of an organic line. I created another rectangle for the flash bulb, filleting the edges again. I then created a truncated cone for the lens, and squares for the full-way view finder in the camera. A shutter button was added by using a primitive cylinder. I completed the model by then boolean adding each of the individual primitives.


My next step was to create a bounding box for the reference layer of the object adding the linear dimensions to the model. I then contoured both the x and y sections of the model creating layers for each of these curves.


After separating the curves on their own layer, I created the planar curves in order to use the Cut My Ribs script for Rhino. 


Once the ribs were cut, I added the Massive Unroll script which allowed me to create the layout for the layers to be cut. I grouped each object and made sure to setup each of the layers correctly adding the text to the red text layer and magenta to the outer_cut layer. The layout was completed, and the file was ready for the laser cutter.


Now that my layout is complete, I created several renders in Keyshot using a wood material for the lighting setup. I then created a render using the ATEC building with a solid stone finish. 





The waffle structure fit together perfectly, and I glued it with super glue to help hold its form. The camera shape worked really nicely, and was structurally sound. I have enclosed the pictures of the finished project below:











No comments:

Post a Comment