Sunday, November 2, 2014

Nathaniel Propp: Week10 WaffleStructure

Statement of Purpose :With this project in mind, I searched for interesting architecture for inspiration.



While my design is much more simple, by using simple shapes together I feel that I accomplished a waffle structure that conveys a possible skyscraper.



I can imagine this waffled structure as a building with an open courtyard in the middle and large outdoor balconies jetting in and out of the structure.

Modeling Techniques : I started with a tube and then added the intersecting triangular prism and ellipsoid. I then tried contouring the model to get slotted curves.



I removed some of the curves to prevent such a uniformly spaced waffle structure. If done again, I would probably have saved time by using the section tool. After that I then simply made them into contour planes, and used both of the scripts to Rib and Rollout the planes. after some clean up with the extend tool, I organized the curves into the 24"x24" box.


Material Choice: I rendered the original model in a smooth reflective material to stress the shape. While I am going to cut it out of plywood underlayment, I chose a cool blue plastic texture to compliment the initial model but highlight the waffle structure. 





Post Cut : The slots came out at the perfect thickness. While one cut was reversed it did not impede the structures form.



No comments:

Post a Comment