Monday, November 3, 2014

Oscar Sanchez Assignment 5: Waffles

For this project we're making waffle structures that are to be laser cut.  My design is based on what our professor showed us. I liked the curvature of his example so I pushed the curves further to get an interesting structure.


 I wanted to add a little more something to contrast the flow of the curves. That's when I added a cube. The idea came from a show I watched when I was little, Futurama. The show is known for making creative futuristic iterations of present monuments and inventions. They took the Madison Square garden and changed it to the Madison Cube Garden.

as seen in Futurama

I placed the cube in my solid and unioned the two of them together for my final design.





I proceeded slicing and notching my model.




Then used the unroll script to layout all my slices.


Most of my slices had what I called hangnails and had to explode and extend the lines to fix them.

hangnails needing to be removed

after exploding, extending and using curve boolean
final sheet to be lasercut
Here's my constructed waffle. Unfortunately, some pieces were broken as the material became too thin in some portions, it's error in my design.




No comments:

Post a Comment