Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chris Venable - Waffle Lamp

While fleshing out the design of my lamp I began browsing through the project history provided on Blackboard. I found that I really liked the more elongated look of some of the designs and thought that I would incorporate this same aesthetic into mine.

My lamp began life in 3Ds Max, I am quite familiar with Max and wanted to take advantage of the spline editing features available in the program. After creating a silhouette I used the Lathe modifier to rotate the object around an axis, this created the polygonal geometry displayed below.

While designing the lamp I really wanted to play with the idea of sharp vs subtle curves while incorporating heavy tapering. The ends of the lamp feature a soft, gradual curvature while the center is dominated by a sharp peak.




My lamp is created used .24in MDF, I really like the character that the laser adds to this material.





No comments:

Post a Comment