Friday, November 14, 2014

Daedra Evans - Project 6 - Waffle Lamp


I initially began the design for lamp with a petal formation. After many iterations and a bit of vacillation, I decided against my original idea. I revamped my ideas, and went back to the drawing board.









I have always been enamored with Charles and Ray Eames and their designs and processes.I loved the lines on these chairs which was the initial inspiration for my triangular mock up. I pushed the envelope even further and chose a look akin to either the Pyramid of Giza and Tenochtitlan.Finally, I found my inspiration in the Egyptian pyramids, but I added a twist. Yes I literally added a twist! I modeled the pyramid in Rhino, twisting the object to create a beautiful serial form. I used the Boolean Difference command with a cylinder to make the hole for the light assembly to fit the waffle structure. I created my curves with the section command, giving more creative control over where the slices were placed. I made my planar curves and ran the scripts necessary to notch the lamp.


I unrolled my object using the Better Massive Unroll Script for Rhino, and then created my sheets. I decided on hardboard making the notches .13" to account for that measurement. Once, all three of my sheets were laid out, I brought the finished file into printing format.


I created my KeyShot 5 renders using a material that depicted my end lamp's aesthetic. I decided upon a fine grain medium toned wood texture. I modeled a light bulb to give the renders more of a realistic feel. The addition of lights within KeyShot helped to show how the light would spill from the lamp as well.



I did have to rework my lamp a bit as the top was creating a lot fewer slices. The script I originally used did not do a very good job of creating the radial slices, but reworking the lamp worked out in the end. I do like the way the lamp turned out.




The light the lamp projects is really beautiful, and creates a really nice pattern on both the ceiling and the walls.










No comments:

Post a Comment