Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sean Lenox - Project 5: Waffles

My waffle object for this week is what I call the "Puzzleblock". I was inspired by jigsaw puzzles and block puzzle games like Tetris when making it, as it is a block piece that could theoretically be part of a puzzle or in a puzzle game. I'm exploring sort of a paradoxical theme with it, as it is a puzzle piece that solves itself - the depressions on the back are filled by the pieces on the front. However, because there is only one of it, it is impossible to solve (unless, I suppose, you cut it in half or something), making it an almost frustrating piece of geometry for me.

It is a very simple model: a simple cube with rectangular and spherical holes cut out of one side with a Boolean Difference. I then did another, opposing Difference to cut the block out of the shapes, giving me half-shapes to stick on the other side of the block.

The Cut My Ribs script did some strange things to the waffle pieces, fitting the notches on them in strange, sometimes alternating orientations. After examining the waffle structure, however, It seems that despite the strange notches, everything fits together correctly. I really like the look of the notches and feared messing up the waffle structure by trying to make them more orderly, so I left them the way they are. If they end up not fitting together perfectly, I'm a big dummy.




Week 12: Redo

I decided to spruce up the design of the Puzzleblock a bit, adding more shapes and slots on the sides.



Week 13:

Here are some photos of the assembled Puzzleblock.








No comments:

Post a Comment