Thursday, October 27, 2022

Audrey Kaup: Project 3- Makerspace Rocket

 Inspiration:

My inspiration was my relationship with my boyfriend. We’ve been together for a year and 2 months,

and our love still continues to grow. I wanted to replicate my love into this lamp, so it’s a constant

reminder of our relationship. I had to think about what kind of sayings were used when you’re in

a relationship, and one of them was “I love you to the moon and back.” That is when I got the idea

to make a lamp a rocket ship and put that saying on there. The lamp will be painted pink, with

red rooftops, purple tail fins, and have occasional yellow stars and red hearts scattered across.

I’ll even put the moon on the back panel for a nicer design other than just stars and hearts.



 Sketch

 Blueprint




Model:

I made this model by making two parts: a pattern layout, and a 3D model of my design.

The pattern layout I did first, so that it will be ready for laser cutting, as well as understanding

how the model will come together. The layout I made by using control lines and curves, then

color coordinated them accordingly to the laser cut plan. The stars and hearts I made by making

lines and curves on one side, then used the mirror tool to make the design symmetrical. I

also made multiple stars and hearts by copying and pasting the curves and scaling them in different sizes. For the moon and letters “A” & “B” I used the command hatch,

so that the laser print will create a raster. A raster is a special kind of cut that makes a small

indention in your material. For the 3D model, I was originally going to use the extrude and cap

command to model my panels, but then I found a tool that was way more useful.

It was called closed solid, and it saved me a two-step process to make closed solids.

Another new command I used was called planar srf, which made a thin surface for the parts

that are going to be vector cut. I also used a taurus for the zip tie interpretation, and the pipe tool

to make the cord. The light bulb, however, was imported instead of made from scratch,

which was very nice.

 Blueprint

 Ghosted

 Naked edges

 Orthographic

Texturing:

In keyshot I used metal, plastic, and paint materials to get mainly the colors I wanted.

Pink copper I used for the main body, which gave the color and shadowing I wanted.

Plastic was used for the roof and zip ties because it matched the hint of shininess the metal

material I have. The tail fins were the only ones in paint, since it was the only material that did not reflect strangely or give off an odd color. As for the lighting, I added a light material to

the light bulb inside the lamp. After adjusting the bulb to a warm yellow glow, I experimented

with both exterior and interior lighting for the overall lighting.

 Environment

 Orthographic


 Closeups

Materials & Laser cut:

Laser cutting on the other hand, seemed like everything went wrong. I was confused on how to

fill out the form and who to get it signed from. Also, the soonest that I could get my laser cut done

was next week, and I did not have the time to wait that long. I could not figure out how to operate

the machine at maker space, so that’s when I had to turn to people with laser printers. My model

was originally going to be 1/4in thick, with raster cuttings for the moon and the letters “A” and “B.”

Vector engravings were with some stars and hearts. However, the laser printer that Mr. Jeremy

had could only do 1/8in thick, so I had to downsize. Sadly, I could not find an MDF board in that size,

so, I had to get a hardboard instead. I painted each panel using acrylic paint,

then glued them together with Loctite glue. I decided not to put the zip ties on because the top was not

big enough, and I can just glue the top on. This was the final result:


 Perspective


 Front

 Top



 Side

 Back

 Side
                                                            
 Closeup 1


 Closeup 2



No comments:

Post a Comment