Sunday, October 9, 2022

Kira Gray- Project 2 FINAL

 Concept/Inspiration:

    I decided to design a crown for a hypothetical princess costume. I won’t actually be dressing up, but I’ve always had a fondness for fancy princess designs. I found 2 reference images to draw my ideas and designs from, both with a more iconic crown shape that you’d see in children’s media. From these reference images, I took the stereotypical pointed design, which I modeled into 3 points. I also took the idea of gems embedded both in the metal itself and placed on the peaks of each of the three points of the crown. I was originally going to make a full circular crown, but due to size, printing time, and printing costs, I modified my original design into a much smaller mini crown with a comb to attach it to my hair. Additionally, I was originally going to go with a gold metal finish for the majority of the crown, but due to the lack of availability of the post processing materials I needed, I went with a copper paint instead, which actually fits the pink jewel tones very well. I am excited to present this project to the class, and enjoyed the creation of it as I went.

 





Process:

 




 
    I used all of the required commands. I used both array AND revolve (array for the comb and spheres surrounding each gemstone, revolve for the rounded gems embedded in the crown near the bottom), mirror for almost every aspect of the structure of the crown (the right peak is simply a mirror of the left, etc), fillet for some aspects of the curves I used to construct the rounded gems near the bottom of the crown, and extract isometric curves for parts such as the array guidelines I used to make the comb, in which I grabbed the curved shape of the base of the crown to ensure it would follow it perfectly. I spent about an hour after I was done working on cleaning up my naked edges, but eventually ended up with a clean model.

 

Materials: 

 





 




    I was originally going to use a gold material in Keyshot for the metal part of the crown, but when I went to Michaels to buy spray paint for my model, they were completely out of gold! I found that I actually really liked the copper colored spray paint they did have, and that the warmer tones fit really well with my pink gems, so I decided to switch my Keyshot render material over to copper as well. I used a pink gem material in Keyshot, and edited three separate gem materials to have the color variations I wanted. For my model, I had it printed at the library, and then cut off the supports and sanded it down. I used the copper spray paint for the metal part, different shades of pink for the gems, glitter on top of the gems, and then mod podge to seal the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment