Sunday, October 9, 2022

Maria Quintanilla: Week 4 Flashlight

 Design Intent

For this project I pushed myself to use many different techniques and to be as creative with the process as possible. I also incorporated varying degrees of detail to create a sense of balance and neatness.


Modeling Techniques

Checked for Naked Edges

After establishing the measurements for the model, I added details to the resulting flat outline and revolved it into a single solid piece. The edges were softened using flays and chamfers to create distinct levels of 'roundness'. Creating the flames was the longest part of the process. I created the flame pattern by shaping line segments and connecting them into a single closed line. I then projected the resulting shape onto the top part of the flashlight in order to fit it to the right shape. The resulting curve was extruded and arrayed in a polar manner around the top of the flashlight. The final step in the process was to use the boolean difference command to create the holes and to connect the resulting faces into the same solid. 


Rendering

Final Render and Measurements

I did not have an idea for the render I wanted to create until the model was completed. I chose to use flat primary colors to resemble a toy. The flame pattern also emphasized the playful look of the model, resulting in an overall coherent and clean design. Another reason for the flat colors is their resemblance to plastic, which will be the closest to what the 3D printed version of the model will look like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment