Saturday, October 29, 2022

Yadira Anguiano: Week 9 Serial Slicing/Surface Population

Design Intent

For this project, I decided to change my original approach and opt for a variation. I wanted to create a sculpture that highlighted geometric movement. I was inspired by popsicle stick sculptures that create an illusion of fluidity through a rigid medium like the one shown below. 

Popsicle Stick Sculpture


Modeling Techniques

I began by creating a surface in rhino that could then be rebuilt and manipulated through its points. I experimented with many different iterations before settling on a simple cylinder shape. At first, I attempted to create a surface using polygons but found that this surface created too many issues when populating later on. I rotated the cylinder's points so that a swirl would be created on the populated surface. I created an input surface similar to a wave, then populated my base surface using Grasshopper. 

Arctic


Material Choices

The material I chose for my rendering is a rough plastic meant to mimic cardboard. I also used an indoor lighting environment since the sculpture will be displayed indoors. I kept the final rendering and its background simple to match the general feel of the object. 

Keyshot Rendering

I decided to resize my model after realizing the original size would take over a dozen sheets of cardboard. Once it was resized, I assembled my lasercutting files once more and sent them to the UTD machine shop. While I was assembling my sculpture, I realized I forgot to remove the holes from the top of my model during this resizing step. For the rods, I used a single 1/2-inch wooden dowel cut into 10-inch pieces. Though my sculpture was meant to be 10 inches tall, I had to remove a few layers in order to fit on the dowels. My final product is pictured below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment