Monday, October 10, 2022

Taylor Champ: Cutlass Saber (Flashlight)

 Inspiration

I've noticed I always find great inspiration and never stick to it fully, even if I want to. For this, I took inspiration in art from the world of Star Wars, a Corellian cutlass. Corellia is most well-known as the birthplace of Han Solo, but based on the information I read, he's not the only pirate to have come from the planet. I liked the idea of a pirate styled saber, with a handguard like a rapier or cutlass. In the end, my result was far more cartoony, but I still am quite proud of it.


Modeling (Renders)




Finished Result




The 3D print was done by the UTD Machine Shop, but was filed and sanded heavily by myself given the incredibly unhelpful supports, including a support that cut the inner compartment into two half circles. I then cut, glued, and sanded a bubble wand to give the appearance of a true lightsaber, a short dagger style. Overall, the design was most hindered by the damage the supports caused, I believe I could have found a design that would have yielded a cleaner result.

No comments:

Post a Comment