Thursday, October 27, 2022

Luke Landis Project 3: Cardboard Falcon [Updated]

For this project, we started experimenting with Laser Cutting. I'm completely new to the technology, so I made a simplified model of the Millennium Falcon to try it out on.


Coolest Ship Ever, Of All Time. Accept No Substitutes!

A screenshot of the layers in their curve form and extruded into polysurfaces.

I recreated the ship and it's most recognizable details (minus the radar dish, RIP.) in Rhino and then used the Contour command to divide my model into layers.


The Original model pre-slicing rendered in Keyshot.

The layers arranged on 24" x 48" "sheets"

I then arranged the layers within 24" x 48" rectangles for cutting.



A week later, and UTD's machine shop had my design cut out of cardboard. A couple weeks after that, I finally put her together. The guy at the shop was nice enough to let me have the cutoffs, so I used them to create landing gear and add details that weren't part of my original design.




No comments:

Post a Comment