Sunday, October 9, 2022

Yeon Poche: Project 2 3D Modeling For Adornment (Heart Goggles)

 Part 1 - Inspiration

    For my costume, I will be dressing up like an Octoling from Splatoon. My favorite piece of gear from the games are the pilot goggles, so I wanted to create something similar. I ended up revising the design because the original draft was a bit too close to the inspiration. My goggles are heart shaped, rather than a traditional pilot goggle shape. The strap and nose piece are going to be either nylon or canvas, so they do not need to be printed. 

Costume Inspiration

First Draft of Goggles

Second Draft of Goggles

Commands: 

  • Mirror across center of lens for perfect symmetry 
  • Chamfer around most of the edges for polish 
  • Extract isocurve to help determine placement of screws/bumps along bottom 
  • Array along the extracted isocurve to make sure it wraps around object perfectly
  • Boolean union the handles to the lens
  • Offset and OffsetSrf to make perfectly evenly spaced curves
  • Join/Explode

Part 2 - Process

I tried many different methods when it came to creating the base of the goggles. In the process I settled on, I drew out the initial heart shape with the curve tool. Then, I used offsetEdge to create variations of the curve that were perfectly distanced around the original. I used this command because extruding or scaling the curve was giving uneven results. I would then create a cube as big as the curves and use Trim to cut out the shape. From there, it was a lot of repetition of those commands and mirroring the item across its center. Being able to mirror the object across its center and then over the project's origin allowed me to create perfect copies. The last major step I did was chamfer the edges. I tried using the fillet command several times throughout the modeling phase, but it would never work the way I wanted it to. Luckily, the chamfer command did not give me as much trouble. To do the detail work, I used dupEdge and booleans a lot. DupEdge was useful because it allowed me to make geometry straight off of the original's curves that I could then boolean together.


Layers


Part 3 - Materials

I used a hard, glossy plastic and a cloth texture to be the main materials of my renders. There are glass lenses in the goggles to make them feel a bit more complete. Picking materials was simple and straightforward for me because I planned on using a glossy spraypaint to finish up my goggles, so the finish of the hard plastic was very similar. My project is inspired by the game Splatoon3, a game with many graffiti and artistic visuals, so I went with a background that would reference that. The environment is actually lit with one of Keyshot's default HDRI settings, but the colors were similar to my background.


Orthographic with Perspective

Render in Environment

Part 4 - Materials (3D Print)

I decided to go with the bright pink color because Splatoon is a game with very bright and saturated colors. I couldn't find a shade of spray paint that was exactly the same pink as the nylon strap I had bought, but I think that the pink I settled on works well anyways. I left the straps on the ends of the goggles unsewn because then it would keep the item adjustable. 


Orthographic (+ Perspective)

Detail Views

3D Print


No comments:

Post a Comment