Monday, October 3, 2022

Brooke Hudy: Project 2- Teapot Hat

Part 1
For my costume, I chose to be Greg from Over the Garden Wall. His outfit is pretty simple. Outside of the rock in his bag and the frog (Jason Funderburker) that he carries around, I didn't have much to work with. However, after thinking about it for a bit I decided to model and print his teapot hat. 

Reference Images


Orthographic Sketch

Part 2
When it came to actually building this model, it was pretty simple. To make the spherical part of the teapot, I made control points around half of my teapot image and used revolve to make a surface. To make my spout, I created curves, used the command loft, and then blended my spout surface to my teapot base with blendsrf . My handle was created in almost the same way. I made a curve, but this time I used Sweep 1 Rail to make the shape 3D. To get my handle to blend into the base, I opted for Extract Isocurve to create a more seamless blend. 

Unfortunately, at the end of this my whole model was an open polysurface that I would not have been able to print. To fix this, I used offsetsrf  to not only thicken my model, but turn it into a closed polysurface. 

Layers


Orthographic


No Naked Edges

Part 3
When it came time to render, I knew I wanted to render my teapot as if it was being worn in the show. Because of this, I went for darker lighting and used orange and yellow directional lights. My textures were very simple. For the head I used different colors of plastic and dulled them so they don't look too shiny. For the teapot, I chose a scratched up metal and dulled it as well. Greg's teapot is very flat in color and I tried my best to match it without making my render too unrealistic. 

Orthographic Renders

Perspective Renders

Render in Environment

Render in Environment

Close Up Render
Part 5
After printing my model it was time to paint it. Seeing as my model was printed in bright orange resin I knew it would take me a bit to fix that. I started by sanding. Thankfully, I used resin to print so there were no lines I had to worry about sanding out. Once sanded, I spray painted my model white to act as a base. The rest of my model was done with acrylic paint. I really wanted to make this model look as close to the one in the show as possible and to do that I decided to paint it to look 2D. In the end, I think it turned out pretty cute. And to attach it, I chose to use magnets so the teapot can be removed when needed. 
Painted Teapot
Teapot On

Bonus! Photoshoot!
As an Over the Garden Wall fan, I thought it was only fair to take photos that match the show. For this, my friend and I got together and took pictures at a creek by my house.

Teapot Being Worn

Teapot Being Worn

Teapot Being Worn

Teapot Being Worn

No comments:

Post a Comment