Monday, October 3, 2022

Jolynn Yeh Project 2 Flashlight

References

Honeycomb

Honeybee

So, the first reference I thought of and used for an idea of my flashlight design was the patterns on a honeycomb. I really like how the pattern on a honeycomb is with the hexagon. But I didn't want my whole flashlight to be covered in just hexagons so I included other shapes and different hexagon sizes. That was my only idea at first and I just kept adding and extruding more stuff. When I got to a place I was satisfied with, I saw that the stripes on the flashlight I made looked like the black stripes on a honeybee. Which fits in with my initial idea of the design.


Methods

Ghosted Perspective

Throughout the whole process, I used a lot of Boolean Difference and Boolean Union. I have 1 layer for the main body, another for the details like the cap and stripes, and one more layer for the measurements. I used Array Polar and grouping to help me with the hexagons and rectangles. I also used loft and patch to make the actual hexagon polygon. I followed the screw top tutorial to help me make the cap, which used a helix, orient, and more other tools. It was quite difficult in the beginning for me to figure out what tools I needed to get the result I wanted.


2D


During this process, what was hard was that I tried to keep in mind how each dimension was. I should have been more precise with the amount I wanted to scale to keep the numbers more even. The overall length of my flashlight case is 95.8 mm, 33 mm for the cap, 1 mm for the width of the walls, and 17.5 mm for the width of the buttonhole.


Material/Rendering


This is the final rendering that I came up with. I had the base be a goldish color like the gold color of a honeybee. Then I made the details such as the cap and stripes of the flashlight black, like the stripes on a honeybee. For this final shot, I had the regular material rendering, and the ambient occlusion rendering. I then put it into photoshop and multiplied the Ambient occlusion on top of the material one to make the shadows stand out more.


Finals




This is the final product. The scaling was a little bit off so I made it a little smaller after. It was hard sanding off some parts of the screw thread so the screw of the cap doesn't screw all the way in.



No comments:

Post a Comment