Monday, October 3, 2022

Saniyah Zaheer: Week 7 Adornment

 


Reference Images


Concept Drawings

Inspiration

My adornment is inspired by the steampunk genre. Steampunk is heavily influenced by gadgets and widgets. It is very rustic and vintage-like. I’ve always loved this aesthetic and when I heard that we had to create an adornment, my Pinterest board full of steampunk keys immediately came to mind. I picked some of my favorite keys and mashed them all together. Steampunk is directly associated with metal, so I decided the coloring of my key would be a solid silvery metallic. I chose only one color because when I think of the inside of a machine all the cogs and parts generally get lost together. It isn’t about the individual parts but what they make when they come together.

Ghosted – Naked Edges


Rhino – Orthographic w/Layers


Ghosted

Process

I used the array tool to create the cogs in my wheels. To create a variety of different wheels I made different sized rectangles first. I then used the array tool to place a random amount of them at random intervals. Then I used boolean difference to create the actual cogs. This process made creating unique wheels easy and efficient. The extract isocurve tool was used to add a little extra variety to my wheels. I used it as a guide to create straight lines resting across my wheel. The spiral tool was used to create the little swirl circling my key. I used it to first create the spiral and then I used the pipe tool to make it 3D. The fillet tool was used to soften the grooves of my key. It added a final softening touch to the key. The mirror tool helped me make the perfect pair of wings. I only had to create one set and then mirror it to create the other one perfectly on the axis.


Keyshot – Close Up



Keyshot – Close Up



Keyshot – Orthographic


Keyshot – Worn


3D Print – Close Up



3D Print – Orthographic


3D Print – Worn

Materials

When it came time to post-process my key, I couldn’t get the image of something metallic out of my mind. Thinking of keys and the industrial era, metal naturally came to mind. After receiving my printed key, I realized that it was much smaller than I imagined and I wasn’t getting the complete steampunk vibe from it. Therefore, I decided to add some sand to it to create texture. I then painted it over with black and rubbed some metallic silver acrylic on top to add a sheen.

I ended up completing my Keyshot after I had my 3D print completed. This resulted in me needing to go back into Rhino to add the sand texture. I couldn’t get Keyshot to create something 3D enough. After a lot of trial and error, I decided to use an image of crumpled aluminum foil for my texture. This helped me replicate the different values that existed in my physical key. I couldn’t quite get it as dark as my 3D print was, but the overall vibe was the same. In order to display the most details I placed the lighting at an angle in front of the model. It made my key appear even lighter than I wanted, but it was the best way to completely show the minute details. My key is a pendant meant to be worn around the neck. To showcase this I modeled a minimalistic person and positioned the key to about where it would rest.









No comments:

Post a Comment