Sunday, October 9, 2022

Lindsey Nguyen : Week 4 Flashlight

 Design Intent 


For my flashlight sleeve project, I decided to go for a curved rigid item just like a chess piece. I designed the flashlight sleeve to resemble one of the powerful pieces, the queen. I didn’t want the sleeve just to be an exact replica of the queen piece but to add some personal take onto my sleeve.

 

Queen Image Reference 



Modeling Techniques 


For the body of my flashlight sleeve, I used the surface or profile of the sleeve by mainly using curve tools, such as curve Boolean and revolving it once I was done. After creating the body of the flashlight sleeve, I used a mixture of chamfers and filets to smooth out the profile. The next part from the body, I decided to create the crown on top of the flashlight sleeve.  I mainly used tools such as the curve tool, array polar, and mirroring. Once I finished the crown of the sleeve I then used the Boolean union. After creating the crown, I then moved forward on creating some holes or adding some shapes into the sleeve, such as spheres near the crown which were used with array polar and Boolean difference. Then the holes of the cubes were also made with array polar but were going through the sleeve in order to create the holes with Boolean difference. Lastly, I created an arch in the middle of the flashlight, which was a curve around the flashlight and placed a pipe, then a Boolean difference to create a notch on the sleeve. 



Ghosted Rhino with 2D Model 
Rendering / Materials 


I rendered the model using Blender. This is my first time using blender, so it was already difficult learning the process on how to render which was so different from using keyshot. I decided to make the sleeve a black base entirely, to really give that chess piece feeling. A shiny glossy look for the sleeve had a nice finish for me.  Then I created the glowing effect, to model how the flashlight would look. 


Blender Rendering Image 

3D Print

    I printed my model with the UTD Makerspace with black filament. Below shows two photos of my model one with the light on and one without the light. 


3D Model Flashlight with light on 

3D Model flashlight with light off 



No comments:

Post a Comment