Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Luke Landis Project 2: Flashlight Sleeve [UPDATED]

 The objective of this assignment was to design and fabricate a sleeve to contain a small, LED-powered flashlight. I created such a sleeve by taking inspiration from various "lightsabers" from Star Wars. 

Lightsabers

To create the shape of the sleeve, I first used basic meshes, which I then modified to ad detail using the ChamferEdge, FilletEdge, and BooleanDivision commands.
Rhino Screenshot
Keyshot Render



Update:

     I'm fairly certain I'm posting this too late, but I finally got the sleeve printed, so here it is!


I converted my Rhino file into an STL, then uploaded that to my preferred slicing software. Then I printed it out on one of the 3D printers my Dad and I share at home.
I ended up having to increase the size of my design because the first version of the print (not pictured) was too small. Unfortunately, I neglected to save a pre-Boolean version of my design (always save a pre-Boolean version!) and was unable to accurately modify my sleeve. The finished product is slightly too big as shown above, but that was easy to fix with a scrap of felt. (below)

How the felt fix works
Bonus: 2D "Schematic" of my Flashlight sleeve








No comments:

Post a Comment