Friday, October 7, 2022

Yadira Anguiano: Week 4 Flashlight

Design Intent 

For this flashlight cover project, I decided to create a sort of "lightstick" design that is popular at K-Pop concerts. I wanted to redesign TXT's lightstick since I felt the current version is a bit lackluster. The group's logo has multiple iterations, but I wanted to focus on the Eternity version (below). 

TXT's official lightstick

Eternity logo ver. 1

Eternity logo ver. 2




Modeling Techniques

To create the base of the lightstick, I began by drawing and editing a base curve that I could then use the revolve command on. In this phase, I added some simple details and corrected measurements by editing the curve. For the flashlight topper, I decided to create intersecting parts so that the top could be removed if the flashlight needs to be replaced. To make the part fit onto the base, I used DupCurve on the base's top and then offset the result very slightly. The most complicated part of the model to create was the diamond-shape, which I modeled by lofting together three hexagon shapes. I learned that for the loft to create the shape I wanted, I had to make sure both curves had the same amount of control points. To create the logo, I began with a base oval, offset it slightly, and then extruded the shape to the width I liked. This shape was then rotated and manipulated. Finally, I used boolean2objects to join the top and bottom parts separately. 

Ghosted Rhino Viewport




Rendering/Materials

I rendered the model using Keyshot. I chose a while base, and a semi-transparent top to produce a glowing effect. I wanted to make sure there wasn't too much material blocking the internal light source, so I also cut down on the width of the topper. To keep the feel of a marketable, realistic lightstick, I used cool toned studio lighting and rendered as a tiff file. In photoshop, I added a background and my edited AI files derived from make2D in Rhino. 

Final Rendering

I printed my flashlight holder using a MakerBot in the 3D studio. Though it had some issues, the shape printed fairly well. After printing, I also realized that there may have been a change in dimensions somewhere during the printing setup process since the parts didn't interlock like they were supposed to. I used a glue to instead hold the top in place. My final product is pictured below. 

Printed model



No comments:

Post a Comment