Sunday, October 30, 2022

Maria Quintanilla: Week 11 Serial Slicing

Design Intent
    With this project I focused on exploring surface population to create a concise and interesting sculpture. I wanted to have as much liberty with the design as possible while still having the final design work well and allow me to edit the layers properly.
Modeling Techniques
Most of the process after applying the surface population was in Grasshopper editing the details of the design such as the size range and randomization. I also tested different seeds as the results were much more different than expected. The base shape is a twisting poly-surface with soft edges while the population object is made up of a conglomerate of rectangles with different dimensions. This contrast was intentional and I believe it adds more interest to the final shape as well as to the way the surface population was generated. Different angles showcase either very organized lines or seemingly indiscernible and messy shapes which I also found to be very alluring. I will likely display this piece from a wall so that the top view is the main perspective enjoyed by the audience.
Material Choices
The final material for this project will be cardboard. I believe the added texture of the grain will add to the final composition in a way that enhances the contrast between orderly shapes and messy angles. In a future project showcasing the surface population technique I would like to be more purposeful with this organizational contrast in the sense of using each perspective to my full advantage to better showcase the piece one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment