Monday, October 3, 2022

Joshua Rainey Flashlight

  Inspiration 

My concept comes from both a floor lamp and a cool lego lightsaber from one of the original star wars games. My design is pretty easy to follow as there is no need to overcomplicate a beautiful piece of history. However, at the same time, I did take aspects from both pieces in order to come up with something unique.

Process
My first thoughts were to create a piece that would look nice on my gaming setup, with that in mind I really want to include the bottom of my flashlight having a wider base so that it could sit on my desk pretty naturally. With this in mind, I liked the middle section from the original lightsaber and wanted to keep a more spiral look towards the middle/top. The boolean difference was a command I found very useful in structuring the overall design, and I did feel it was best for me to build this design from the bottom up.





Materials
I had a few different ideas for my materials, I was unsure if I wanted to stick to a more metallic lightsaber feel, or go with something that looked better on my desk. Thinking about my setup I felt it was nice to make my "desk light" out of a metal material. I really wanted it to feel like it was star wars style and futuristic. I did try some cool wood pieces with the design, however, it ended up looking a little off and the metal feeling was the overall best choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment