Monday, October 31, 2022

Lindsey Nguyen: Week 9 Serial Slicing / Surface Population

 

Design Intent 


For my design intent, I wanted to create a candle holder for my candle, where the candle is kinda lifted above since I know the materials will be mainly made from cardboard. I also wanted to design from a movie that I enjoy watching which is called, Spirited Away. The perfect part was one of the characters who would have to bring coal to the fire which were called Soot Sprites, and would be awarded these stars. So I made my candle holder based on the sprites and stars. As well as this artistic candle that I took inspiration from to create mine.

Candle Holder Inspo 
Spirited Away Soot Sprites 




Modeling Techniques 


I made my reference to my White Barn candle, with a little elevation for the candle so it can be extruded out on top of the box. I first started with a cube then created a cylinder which was then a boolean difference. Then I created a six star and used the grasshopper method to use the surface population. I wanted to create the star with the randomizer method but knowing it will be problematic in the future. The slicing wouldn't come out smooth as well it wasn’t able to boolean union onto the candle holder / box. Then I created small spheres with eyes to represent the soots looking at the “candle” with stars on their side. 




Artic + 2D Shots



Rendering/Materials 

Blender Rendering


For rendering, I went for a wooden look as the project is gonna be sliced into cardboard so I wanted to have an idea on how the project will end up looking in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment