Sunday, October 9, 2022

Carson Jones: Project 2 - Prop (Pokeball)

Concept

The costume I will be wearing this year is a Team Rocket Grunt. It's a costume I've had for years and it's rather easy to put on, unlike some of my other cosplay, so I tend to wear it for Halloween instead of some of the other costumes. For my Team Rocket cosplay, I need some Pokeballs. After I learned that I couldn't use copyrighted things, I decided to make a Rowlet themed Pokeball that I could hold.

References:



Design:


Process

Command List:

I first created a sphere as a base, and then I split it into the upper and lower half of the Pokeball using boolean difference. I then created another sphere inside them in order to make the black inner sphere. I hollowed out the outer spheres with boolean difference and then hollowed out the interior sphere as well. I added a truncated pyramid to the front and back of the middle section so that the upper and lower sphere would lock into place. I then used interpolate curve on surface in order to create the "feathers" on the upper section of the Pokeball. I then extruded the curve towards the center of the sphere make it a 3D object. Then I used array to have the feathers go around the Pokeball. After that I simply created some cylinders for the middle and cut out a hole for them to be inserted into. Next I carved out the line on the face for the different paint job I was going to do once it was printed. Then I modeled the bowtie and added a connector to the back of it that would slide into the bottom part of the Pokeball in order to attach it.

Layers

No Naked Edges

Orthographic

Planned Colors (Eye plumage will be painted white)


Materials

In Keyshot, I used a glossy paint for the Pokeball since I felt that it looked the most similar to the reference images. Most people use a metallic material for a Pokeball, but I really didn't like how any of the attempts turned out due to the coloration of the Pokeball. I made the paint extra glossy so that it would still have that shiny reflection like most Pokeballs have. The environment I chose was a forest, because in most Pokemon adventures you are out in the wilderness looking for Pokemon. Pokeballs are usually stored in a trainers bag (and therefore hidden) or held, so I decided to put a hand into my keyshot rendering to show how it would be "worn".


Sanding was not too bad for this project seeing as I made each piece of the Pokeball a separate part. I painted multiple layers onto each of the parts and let them dry before gluing them together. I have very shaky hands so unfortunately the white plumage for the face didn't have the exact outline I wanted, but other than that I think this turned out pretty alright for my first attempt at this.




No comments:

Post a Comment