Wednesday, December 14, 2022

 Prosthetic Accessory


















        My prosthetic accessory is a Kevlar hood reinforced with an acrylic faceplate. My original intention was to design a more ridged, helmet-like accessory. Unfortunately, my model seemed to "soften" during the process of patching polysurfaces from curves. I do, however, think this new soft appearance truly comes into it's own when an appropriate material is applied to it, hence the conversion from metal to Kevlar. My original concept included an inner fastening to cushion and insulate the wearer from the hard metal shell. This underlying structure has been preserved in the transition to Kevlar to secure the acrylic plate in a fixed orientation to the wearers face while also evenly distributing its weight.


I thought that I would include one of my previous designs that was scrapped due to issues in the patching process due to curves failing to intersect. It is a light-weight accessory consisting of a sleeve and glove.  





        I wont lie, I am disappointed that I wasn't able to fully realize my original concept for the helmet. I believe that I need to practice more with drawing the outlining curves that serve to fill out the initial shape of the model, as it was the errors I made in this step that led to the patching difficulties that I experienced later, in both the sleeve and the helmet. I plan to continue to practice similar 3D modeling exercises so that one day I can return to both these designs and see to their full realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment