Monday, December 5, 2022

LynZhang: Project 4 Slicing

 Inspiration:
    For the inspiration, I based the creature off of my variation of the Sandwyrm, a fictional creature in DND. I combined the looks of a caterpillar fungus (a caterpillar with a long fungal stem that resembles an "antennae" on its head), a leech, and a dragon.


Modelling:
    I used the pipe array tool to create the body. At the ends of the Sandwyrm, I used a sphere to cut out a hollowed-out area with the boolean difference tool for the mouth and rear. I also added a torus shape at the rear end to give it a lip-like structure. For the horn/spike shapes I used the curve tool to create the horn/spike shapes I wanted. The model came out perfectly, but at some point Rhino messed up the support rods I boolean-differenced out of the model, so instead of having perfectly round holes in the model to put the rods in for laser cutting, the model had oval holes in the model.







The Keyshot renderings show the Sandwyrm in its natural environment. The Sandwyrm is around 100 feet tall, but for the purposes of making it easy to model and bring to school I scaled it down to 1.5 feet. The horn adds about 9 inches to the height of the Sandwyrm.

Processing:
    I made a layer of paper mache around the Sandwyrm and the horn/spikes. After that dried, I then coated the Sandwyrm with a layer of tan spray paint, then added red splotches along its back. I alternated coats of red and tan immediately so that the coat doesn't have time to dry, which led to blurring and splotchiness across the Sandwyrm's back. I then glued on the horn/spikes with hot glue and added the saliva on its mouth with the hot glue. Originally, I planned for the hot glue drool to be thicker, but that didn't work as well as I expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment