Friday, December 2, 2022

Faith Romero: Week 15 Prosthetic

 

Design Intent 


    I had an idea to create a prosthetic that would act like an upper and lower art cover. I would make this prosthetic in a way that it could be separated into the top piece and bottom piece to be placed on broken arms. This could serve as a stylish alternative to plaster casts. My other idea was to use this for burn victims as an external cover. And a final way to use this would be a prosthetic cover. 

Modeling Techniques 



    To begin I rebuilt the original arm to simplify the model. I created curves to project on the model and rebuilt the curves. I created curves to project vertically and horizontally after I ran Network surface to make a clean surface. I rebuilt the surface to simplify once again, I duplicated the object and offset the layers so one would sit on top. I created a loft between the surface to make it one object. I decided to go back and add some detail, I looked for a way to have some offset detail. With the advice of Professor Scott, I projected curves on my surface and split the curve from the base. I cut out the top layer of the model leaving the split on top, I created a loft on each side connecting it to the base finally, I filleted the edges. 
    To Create the detail I duplicated the arm, and offset it to the side, and exploded the surface. I deleted the cuff surfaces to have the detail just appear on the base. I ran grasshopper with the parakeet plugin, and I created a script to have a "growth on mesh". I converted my object from brep to mesh and ran it to the growth on mesh, I created a button and timer. The growth on mesh was run to a pipe, to have well-defined lines. I ran the program till I liked the look, and baked it to the artboard. 

Rendering and Materials

   
 The material I choose was Axalta Paint. I decided to go with a bright color for the main body this shade of orange was a nice neutral that mixed with the "Nite tide" navy color I choose. I decided to go with these colors since they are complementary and they are seen in retro artwork, hence the name. For the detail, I did not want it to match the cuffs, but I wanted it to complement the colors, a "Midnight" shade was chosen to have variation and depth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment