Monday, December 5, 2022

Brooke Hudy-Project 4-Serial Slicing

 Inspiration

    For this project, my initial inspiration sheet was honestly thrown together out of stress to get things done. My final sketch is vastly different from the creatures I had pictured. However, I knew I wasn't going to be happy unless I created something that I had put more thought into. Because of that, I spent my time after class sketching up different creatures until I made something I was happy with.

Reference Images
Final Sketch
Process:
    When it came to modeling my creature, I started with a simple sphere. I then went in with subD modeling and extruded my surfaces, making sure I had reflect on so it would stay even. Once I had a face I was happy with, I used the pipe array tool to create the basic shape for the neck and went back in with extruding surfaces to create a shape I was happy with. The ears were a bit wonky in shape, and wonky in modeling. It was a lot of trial and error till I got it right and by the end they came out slightly wonky but fixable. All that was left by the end was to boolean it all together and difference out my rods and I was done. 
Orthographic Layers
Rendering:
    Rendering was simple. To be honest, I rendered my project early on under the assumption we were supposed to render it sliced. I made mine white because I knew ultimately my model would end up white. However, if given the chance to redo this part of the project I would attempt it. I added the face on with clay and the head piece and neck piece with fabric and paper. While it would be tricky to model, especially in rhino, I'm sure I'd have gotten somewhat close if I redid my renders.
2D Sketch+Render
Render
Orthographic

Fabrication:
    This part of the project took the longest for me. I knew the second I went to pick up my sliced model that I had a lot of work ahead of me. For started, I assembled my model. After consulting my cousin about this project he suggested I use a type of spray on glue for assembly. To which I did and it made the process LOADS easier. From there, it was time to paper mache. I used a simple mix of water and flour and I laid my strips of newspaper atop my model. I did 2 layers of paper mache and then started with the facial features with clay. From there, I got some plaster wrap and wrapped my whole model to make the clay seamlessly blend with the smooth surfaces. 
    The rest of the process was painting. The head piece is made of two pieces of paper I glued together and cut and then painted. And the neck piece is made of tulle and lace fabric that I tied to a ribbon on the neck. While it was a pretty simple process, it took forever getting the paint to lay smooth on the bumpy surface. However, in the end I think I got as close to my sketch as possible. (With some added color of course).
Orthographic
Head Piece
Front View




No comments:

Post a Comment