Monday, December 5, 2022

Maria Quintanilla Prosthetic

 Design Intent

I wanted to create a design that reflected both utility and style. Incorporating both artistry and functionality was an interesting process that took up several pages worth of sketches. I was mainly inspired by the suspension in a car for the main support of the prosthetic and I wanted to display it in a way that added to the composition. 

Modeling Techniques

The main shape of the prosthetic was established by using curves and creating a solid form from that network. Although I did not use that part of the process in the final, it was very helpful in setting up the shape for adding detail. My favorite part of the piece are the cut out designs in the middle. I created those by making curves, projecting them onto the model, and trimming the excess. The contrast between the solidity of the foot and the lightness of the leg fit perfectly with my design intent.





Material Choices

I chose to use different metals as well as plastics for the purpose of durability. The only part which was chosen for an artistic purpose was the middle section with the cut out design. I chose a shinier and lighter colored metal for this reason. The colors are cool tones of gray and blue to enhance the shiny nature of the metal. It also contrasts well with the inner tube which is also a part of the design I wanted to be on display. Plastic or rubber for the sole would work the same way as a shoe. I chose a dull metal for the foot portion of the prosthetic to accentuate the contrast between the heaviness of the foot and the lightness of the calf section. 






No comments:

Post a Comment