Sunday, December 4, 2022

Yadira Anguiano: Week 8 Prosthetic Accessory

 Design Intent

After watching Aimee Mullin's Ted Talk during class, I was inspired to create an object that solves a design problem by merging utility with aesthetics. I brainstormed issues that directly affect myself and the people near me, thinking of ways design could help solve these issues. During this time, I realized that my grandfather is someone that could greatly benefit from good "prosthetic" design. He, like many others of his age and demographic, is hard of hearing and cannot hold conversation without a hearing aid. However, as an old-fashioned Hispanic man, he also feels disdain for these devices. He refuses to wear them, likely because of the accompanying notion of aging with the device. I wanted to propose a change to this idea for my grandfather and many other Hispanic men who have the same disdain toward these medical devices. Instead of feeling shame or disdain, I want his demographic to think of their hearing aid as an accessory. Like glasses, I feel hearing aids should become an accessory that even those without hearing difficulties would want to wear.

Because my target demographic is older Hispanic (more specifically, rural Mexican) men, I drew inspiration from cultural "ranchero" style objects like belts, sombreros, and even horse saddles. All of these objects are heavily patterned with similar prints, and seemed to have a liking toward using gold, bronze, or silver as highlight detailing. These patterns are often embroidered or branded into leather. I also drew inspiration from Mexican jewelry, which displays similar patterns. 

Patterned ring


Patterned Saddle


Mexican "Centenario"



Initial concept sketch


I drew an initial sketch for what I wanted my earpiece to look like. This sketch is based on the general shape and design of a hearing aid. Later, I swapped this design since it felt too bulky, and instead opted for something more akin to a singer's earpiece. Instead of having a battery on the back of the user's ear, I imagined a smaller battery embedded into the earpiece for sake of sleekness. 


Modeling Techniques

I began my model by creating basic curves and projecting them onto my head model. I wanted to ensure a comfortable and ergonomic base, so I followed the ear's shape for the initial base that would then become my leather piece. I used loft and patch to then create surfaces. Afterward, I build a battery encasement within the ear. I had the idea to make this metallic early on, so I wanted a stiffer look to this piece. To do this, I projected my curves onto a planar surface and then used offset to create a general shape. I added smaller details, like an outer trim using similar methods. I built an extra platform piece where I would eventually add my pattern. To create my pattern, I began with creating curves inspired by patterns I saw in my references. I made sure the edges were tileable, and then proceeded to use fillet corner to remove any harsh edges. Then, once the curves were nicely arranged, I extruded and then attempted to use flow along surface. Since that function wasn't producing the results I wanted, I instead laid the pattern on top of the raised piece and used the Boolean difference command. Once the edges were filleted on my surfaces, I called it there. I wanted to create an earpiece that would be useful for everyday wear, though I created chains and different patterning for the piece, I ultimately kept it simple.



Materials

For my Keyshot renderings, I used titanium for the battery, aluminum for the pattern, and leather for the backpiece. I used these materials to keep with the "ranchero" style, keeping in mind that while I wanted to use shiny metals, they are not ideal for daily wear (and a bit out of character for my targeted demographic). I also chose a basic, indoor lighting setting as well as an outdoor one to capture both environments the earpiece may be seen in. I made sure to render as TIFFs, since this gave me the option to change the background to a gradient. Overall, I feel I was successful in redesigning a personalized hearing aid. 




No comments:

Post a Comment