Sunday, December 4, 2022

Eugenio Gonzalez Lazo: Project 4 - Serial Slicing

CONCEPT
The original concept of this project was based upon turning an avocado and turning it into a creature. I really liked the idea of having an avocado sliced in half as the general shape of the creature. I initially wanted to include spikes in my avocado to resemble that of a hedgehog, but decided to change that and instead combine it with spikes like those featured on Sonic the Hedgehog. 


PROCESS
For my 3D Model, designing the overall shape was not as challenging as the previous 3 projects. I think I have a better understanding of how to use Rhino to portray my vision. As my design itself is intentionally pretty simple with it being a modified sphere for the avocado body, modified cube for the eyebrows and modified spheres for the eyes and spikes, the process was fairly simple. Some commands I used that helped me create my model were the Mirror command, as this was very helpful in being able to create one eye, one eyebrow and the spikes on one side of the body and simply mirror it to the other side of the creature. When creating the body of the avocado, along with other modified shapes, I used the the 2D Scale command in order to reshape and strech out shapes. For the body of the avocado, I created a 2D plane and used the split command in order to break the sphere in half, and then once I was happy with the design of that half of the avocado, I used the Cap command to make it one piece. However, this presented a challenge in that I needed to have the flat surface be green as it is the interior of the avocado and the round surface had to be black to create the avocado skin, so the Explode command was helpful to create 2 surfaces that I could then assign to different layers. When I finished modeling and tried to create the contour model, but it kept failing and that is when I remembered I had to use the Boolean Union command in order to continue with the contour model.


RENDERING & FABRICATION
Most of the work with this project was not when designing or modeling my piece, but instead it was during the physical post-processing phase. When creating my renders on Keyshot, I applied a matte white material to every layer and modified the color to match that of each element of the avocado. For my physical model, I used spray glue to assemble my laser-cut pieces together, then used a mix of water and glue to do paper mache to create an even surface. After this initial paper mache surface, I used Crayola Model Magic Clay to create better details around the spikes and eyebrows, as the contour created a "pixelated" effect and lost a lot of detail. Once the model magic clay dried, I added a second layer of paper mache around that in order to work with one single and even layer when painting. I coated it all in white, then painted the avocado in multiple respective colors. 








No comments:

Post a Comment