Sunday, December 4, 2022

Kira Gray- Project 4: Serial Slicing

 Concept:



 
For my sketches, I drew a doglike creature with a mushroom hat, a more creepy tree-inspired creature, and another doglike creature but with antler looking branches coming out of its head. I ultimately decided on the doglike creature with the mushroom cap, as I thought it would be both more fun to model and best for a serial slicing project, in addition to simply being cute.


Process:

For my process, I used SubD commands to create the more organic shapes. I created the nose and ears shapes using the primitive Plane command, then duplicated it and used bridge to create a 3-dimensional shape. The hat was created using four Cone commands, two of which were flattened to create the two brims. Once every shape was in place, I used Boolean Combine to make the model into one shape. I found the way my model looked in the Render port in Rhino to be very aesthetically pleasing, which is why I included the photo here.

For the extruded version of the model, I used the Contour command as instructed to create the X-Curves, then the Extrude command at 0.25 inch intervals to create the serial sliced look. I created two long cylinders of a 0.25 inch diameter to mimic the wooden dowels I would use in my actual model, and used Boolean Difference in order to model the holes that would run through my model.

Rendering & Fabrication:




  

 




In Keyshot, I used a red and white plastic material as it would give me the solid glossy shine my paint would have in reality. For my actual model, I used newspaper to paper mache over the raw cardboard, and then paint over the top. I used a white spray paint for the base, and then painted over it with red, pink, and white where necessary. In my orthographic picture, I decided to include a picture from the top view, as I found the way the hat looks from above interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment