Sunday, December 4, 2022

Mayah Delagarza - Project 4 - Serial Sliced - Red Panda Dog Devil

 Concept : In this project we were instructed to create a fantasy animal and develop a 3D model to then serial slice it and laser cut it. My favorite animal is the red panda and most of my projects for most classes are based on red pandas, so I decided to try and do that for this project. Of course it could not just be a red panda due to it being a "fantasy" animal, so I decided to use a mix of both red pandas and a dogs due to me loving dogs as well. I also threw in some horns and a halo to represent it like a corrupted angel devil creature. He also has a purple hoodie to of course stand out more. 

(I wanted to include a cyborg plate on the face and a bright red eye, but I did not know how to properly implement it so decided not to include it)

Sketches for project

References for project

Process : The hardest part was trying to get the ears right without causing errors to the model. I used the basic shape tool along with some hatching to get the job done. Mirror to mirror the extruding lines and ears, and as well as splitting and cutting to get the proper ear shape I wanted without there being any naked edges or holes on the actual design itself.

Ghosted Black Rhino Image

Rending and Fabrication : The Keyshot of the project was the hardest part. For some reason I really really wanted to just color it how it is using the cardboard designs we were to use for laser cutting, but during this whole process I genuinely forgot we were meant to paper mache the creation to give it a more defined shape. So the actual Keyshot image was a lot harder to color in general due to all the slices being their own whole model so I tried my best to try and replicate how the model would look like with a coat of paint. Before doing the paper mache, I planned on using different materials to create the actual pattern design on the face, hence the popping out pattern. 

Gray Background Keyshot Image

Gray Background Keyshot Image

Live Render Keyshot Image

Live Render Keyshot Image

Live Render Keyshot Image

For the actual print in real life I did not have much trouble working with, the action of paper mache gave me the freedom to be able to properly decorate the model how I wanted to. The laser cutters did not fully print the tips of the ears and actual horns, so I decided to just leave the ears how they were and create little cones for the horns. I do love how the model itself came out in the end.

Top View

Front view

Close up

Back View


No comments:

Post a Comment