Monday, December 5, 2022

Bailey McCalla: Project 4-- Serial Slicing

 When sketching out my design, one of primary things that I wanted for my fictional creature was deer horns. I also wanted to base it off of a winged creature eventually settling for an owl with deer horns. 

Concept Sketch

Reference Images

Owl Reference

Deer Horn Reference


Process: Modeling

When modeling the creature, the first thing I attempted was by using the sphere tool as the base shape for the head. I then used the Points on command on the sphere which allowed me to manipulate every single point on the sphere allowing me to mold the creature's head in the shape I desired. After using Points on, I then used the Rebuild command which allowed me to take the shape and add even more points to the sphere. I used this method for the head, body and wings. Another tool that I used which helped me create the wings and shape was Boolean Difference which allowed me to make several minute changes without having to manipulate the points. In order to create the horns I used the Curve tool which allowed me to draw the horn design. I then created a circle and Extruded it into the curve at which point I Projected the curves onto the extruded shape before deleting said shape leaving only the projected curve. I then selected the curve and made them SubD Friendly which allowed me to use SubD Multipipe creating the horns in 3d.

3d Model Orthographic
3d Model Perspective

3d Model Front


3d Extrude Front

3d Extrude prospective


Process: Rendering

Unfortunately as I was modeling I was unable to figure out how to model the owl's talons which then began a series of events where difficulties in each process caused the creature to take on a different iteration. The concept phase started off simple as an owl with deer horns, Then during the modeling phase it became this pudgy creature with wings and legs and finally during the assembly phase due to how the laser cutter I used was set up, I once again had to change my creature to that of a rock golem.
For the rendering I used a metallic material with cross hatch bumps and rough polish to it in order to give off a rock like texture. 

Render Top
Render Front

 
Render Perspective


Render Side

Render Background




Process: Assembly

As stated before due to difficulties with the laser cutter involving layering and misalignment issues I once again had to change my model in order to make due with what slices I had. The final result of the assembly now resembled what I call a rock golem.

The most difficult part of the assembly process was gluing the arms to the body since the arms would have to be glued while the model was standing. I also encounter some balance issues when attempting to make the model taller but was quickly rectified.

Process: Post Processing

I had decided to use aluminum foil as my primary material due to being able to add folds to the foil allowing the material to more closely resemble a rock. Upon applying the material there were some aspects of the model that were lost in translation such as the horns.
While I had succeed in this, the shine due to the tinfoil caused the model to more resemble a robot as opposed to a creature made out of rock. This is when I applied a textured spray paint to the model where the final result now resembled a rock creature.
Final-Front

Final Perspective

Final Side

Final Top


 


No comments:

Post a Comment