Sunday, December 4, 2022

Madeline Askins: Project 4 Serial Slicing

 


Concept: The requirement for this project is to create a mythical creature out of serial laser cuttings. I went into references and found many fairies and plant-like creatures. From this, I decided to create a mushroom-themed fairy. Most of my inspiration came from the art on Pinterest and artist list. I decided to not give the fairy a face but a mask to make it look less human. The hair is made of mushrooms since you cannot create hair in laser cutting. Lastly, the model is made with all organic material making it easier to assemble.






Process: In the process of creating models in rhino I used many SubD commands to create organic material. Within SubD is the SubD plane which would create a surface with faces within it. When you click on SubD extrude you can extrude the surfaces where you like. If you hold down shift and extrude you can extrud one face which creates protruding parts in the model. If you click shift and click a face you can manipulate the face where you want in to go. With these tools, I was able to create base shapes. To get both sides of the model to reflect I clicked SubD Reflect which would place a line down the center of the model and any command you did on one side would happen to the other, With this, both sides could be equal. Lastly in order to connect the arms and pieces of the head I would delete one face where it would connect and click the SubD bridge. When you click open holes where the model should connect both objects will mech together into one. With all of these commands, I was able to create the organic model in rhino.


Rendering: In rendering, I placed my model into Keyshot and grounded it. I then added the cardboard texture over it. Lighting would change on the angle because I wanted the front to light up more. I used a gray background and the countertop background in Keyshot. The only issue I had was that the poles at the bottom would always stick out when I imported the model to Keyshot.










Fabrication: For fabrication, I layered the cardboard cutouts in through the poles to stabilize them. I then glued each layer together. The mushrooms on the top had to be glued separately to make sure they did not break off before taping it. After I glued it I wrapped the base and individual pieces in tape. I then glued the mushrooms on top at home. I then bought DAS air-dry modeling clay. The clay was the trickiest part of the project. For the clay, I would use it to layer onto the tape to give it a mushroom texture. I started by wrapping below the head in clay and detailing textures through it with tools. I would consistently spray it with water to ensure it stayed wet till I was finished. I could not let it dry without wrapping it in damp towels. I did this because if you let clay with thin parts dry the edges will dry faster than the base causing it to shrink and crack. If dried slowly with equal moisture it will not crack. This did take 24 hours to dry but it did not crack or crumble at all. Even small details remained intact and strong. I finished the head and let that dry too. On the final day, I painted the entire model in acrylic. I wanted to fairly to have a camouflaged look since it was a forest creature. most of the model is brown tones but the face is bright white and red. The only issue I had with this part is the paint hiding some textures I made in clay.






















No comments:

Post a Comment