Saturday, September 10, 2022

Audrey Kaup: Assignment 01 - Castle

 

Inspiration 

My inspiration came from Scotland castles; The castle designs are so beautiful there because of its tall builds, long hallways, and carefully made towers. The castle design I picked as a reference is located at the bottom of the screen. I like how sturdy this structure is, yet simple enough to replicate. I also mixed the original design with two towers on each side, making it more graceful instead of blocky.





In process


 I made this castle by using basic rectangles, cones, and cylinders for the main structure. For the smaller details I had to make custom for the rooftops and one of the chimneys. I made the custom shapes by using the line tool, then used the extrude curves command to make the shape 3D. I also had to type in the Cap command to make the custom shape whole. For the bridge detail, I duplicated multiple rectangles near the edge of the bridge, then used the Boolean union tool to combine the shapes together. I did the same thing to combine the rest of the structures so that they can be hollow, then exploded them and used the join command so I can put each shape in a different layer. Finally for the windows and tunnels; I made rectangles and a custom shape for the tunnel, then used the Boolean difference tool to make holes into the structure. Although some of the windows did not become holes fully, so I had to delete some of the faces by using the delete faces command. My favorite command that I used for this project was the Gumball command, because I can rotate, scale, and translate all at the same time. This was very helpful to make and transfer objects quicker than finding it separately on the toolbar.




Materials


I really wanted to go for a fairytale princess look for my castle, which usually involves pink with bright shiny colors. I found this pink metallic material called Anodized Titanium, which I modified to copper for a lighter color. For the tower roofs, I picked Anodized Niobium, a golden metallic material to magnify the cheerfulness of the pink. I wanted to balance out the pink and gold, so I used cooler colors for the rooftops and chimneys for contrast. I decided to use a turquoise color called Jenine Marine, a paint material that went the best with the bright pink and gold I used. Lastly, I used a glossy purple to balance out the lighter colors, making the rooftops pop. As for my lighting, I wanted something warm toned so that you could tell that the castle is shiny and welcoming. I decided to use interior based style of lighting because the rays of sunlight bounces off the castle nicely.
















No comments:

Post a Comment