Thursday, September 8, 2022

Yadira Anguiano: Week #1 Castle

 
Design Intent

The intent of this project was to use rhino modeling fundamentals to model a castle. For my castle, I decided to imagine a 3D version of a cartoon castle. I'm a fan of Adventure Time, so I wanted to model a version of Princess Bubblegum's castle (also called the Candy Kingdom). The castle needed to capture a cartoon-like feel to match the source material. Below is a reference photo I used. While I wanted to create a version of the castle, I wanted to focus on the main structure rather than all of the extra elements of the kingdom. 



References







Modeling Techniques



Ghosted

I began modeling the castle by creating reference curves. I made sure to keep grid snap and O-snaps on while creating these references to ensure clean modeling later on. The castle base is made with basic primitives, stacked on top of one another and then boolean-ed together to create one solid. For the castle frills, I began by drawing a rectangle curve. I edited the base rectangle by adding curve points and creating a round side. From there, I extruded the curve and then used Array Polar to circle the entire span of the castle. For the tree branches/tower base shapes, I first used a curve followed by the pipe command to create a solid. To create slightly cartoon-ish tower triangle tops, I used the bend command on a pyramid primitive. For any doorways or windows, I created a sort of "hole punch" shaped cylinder, positioned it accordingly, and then used boolean difference. 



Bird's eye
Materials

Returning to the original source material and design intent, I decided to choose bright and smooth materials. The majority of the castle uses either smooth or shiny plastic in assorted colors. As for the environment, I decided to use an outside field to simulate outdoor lighting. I made sure to turn up brightness for all lighting situations to match the cartoon theme. 


    




Pedestrian's view




Perspective


No comments:

Post a Comment