Sunday, September 18, 2022

Yvonne Yu: Project 2 Adornment

Part 1: Inspiration  

    For my costume, I will be dressing up as Finn the Human from Adventure Time. I chose to create my model based on Jake the Dog from the episode, It Came From the Nightosphere, where he shrinks himself into a sewn pocket on Finn's shirt. My model is made so that he hangs onto a pocket with his head and paws visible. I took inspiration from Jake's bean shaped body in order to create a cute, toy-like model. 

inspiration and reference photos

Design:

orthographic sketch and annotations

Updated design:

updated orthographic sketch

Part 2: Process

When modeling, I used 3D and SubD shapes such as spheres, ellipsoides, and pipes. For the body, I used polylines and Revolve. For the mouth area, I used Control points and Extracted Isocurves to create the rounded shape. I used Mirror to reflect the arms, legs, and smaller details on the face and shoes. I combined all the parts of Jack the Dog by first using Boolan Difference and then using Boolean Union. After connecting all the shapes, I went in with Fillet to round out the areas near the neck and legs.

layers

naked edges

orthographic

Part 3: Materials

For my render, I wanted to create a plastic, toy look which is why I chose to use soft shiny and rough plastics. I also chose to use the same color as Jake for the body of my model, but added additional colors to the details that I had added in (the mouth, eyebrows, and shoes). For lighting, I used pins lights and edited the brightness to bring out the shine of the plastic body. For my environment render, I added a pocket in Rhino using lines, polylines, and the Loft command. The pocket material is a canvas fabric that I zoomed in on and changed the color to match the color of Finn's shirt in the original inspiration.

orthographic render

environment render

close ups

After printing my model, I sanded off the supports and additional bits using a 200 grit sand paper. I then used XTC epoxy to smooth out the surface and sprayed the model with a clear glaze spray to fill in additional spots that had not been smoothed. Using a 2000 grit sandpaper, I removed any extra epoxy and went in with acrylic paint for the details. I ended up changing the beige color of the mouth, eyebrows, and shoes to white because I felt it stood out more than it did in the render. I then used the clear glaze once more to bring back the shiny plastic look. Finally, I created a pocket using felt and sewed it onto a shirt for Jack to sit in for the costume.

orthographic

 
environment/being worn

close ups

No comments:

Post a Comment