Sunday, September 11, 2022

Brendan Young: Castle Project

Inspiration:
For my castle I wanted to have it appear as if it could have existed in the real world. I had chosen the Bodiam castle as reference to model my project off of due to its symmetrical design which I find to be very appealing, as well as how it stood more as a fort. This castle unlike many others has no keep, and would have been built purely for defense. I also wanted to make my project very recognizable as a castle with few new artisitic add ons by myself. 

  Process:
This project required lots of use of O snaps due to the fact it is very symmetrical. I had begun the project first by modeling the corner towers and positioning them. To ensure correct size and allignement I copied and pasted one tower to another and used shift to stay straight when moving. From there The walls and mid towers were added as well in a similar manner. With much of the basic shapes in place I began detailing with heavy use of the booleanDifference tool. Just about every tower top and window was made using this tool. 

  Materials:
Finding decent textures and figuring out how to have them wrap the correct way I wanted them too was very challenging. For one after I had found a good texture for the castle, using the render view it looked great. However when in keyshot the textures had melted beyond comprehension and I had to discover that I needed to change the mode to UV mapping. Finding a way to make the water look like it could actually be water was very difficult as well, and is one part of the project I am not completely satisfied with. Overall though I am happy with how it turned out and the castle looks very close to how I had imagined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment