Saturday, September 10, 2022

Faith Romero : Week 1 Castle

Inspiration 
Butrón Castle Ref 2

Butrón Castle Ref 1

The castle I chose for my inspiration is the Butrón Castle, I chose to model this castle because of the layers it has. Although the castle is small it has a lot of depth and height with varying spires. I thought it would be a good challenge to create a model with a lot of geometry in a small area. 

Process

Ghosted without globe

Ghosted with globe
I began by creating the main element of the castle the base using a rectangle, I built on top of that creating the second and third later. Once I found the appropriate height for all the base layers I began creating the first layer of spires. From looking at my reference shots the spire varied in height around the base. Beginning with the main cycle I built up with a TCone flared up to add depth and on the biggest spire, I added a few detailed pieces. I continued to add spires to the main door area, choosing to close the top with a pyramid to add variation along with a small pyramid for accent. I moved up to the next layers I made cylinders with different lengths and widths to fit in the areas. I changed the tops to make contrast making the middle layer a cone with a sphere to accent and for the top layer, I used a tube to make it look like a platform to stand on. Finally, I added details such as windows and a big main door. I created these shapes by combining a rectangle and a cylinder and trimmed the overlapping cylinder. I finished my model by adding a flag pole to the top using simple shapes like a cylinder and a rectangle.  

Materials

Birdseye without globe
Birdseye with globe
Pedestrian View
When choosing the materials my initial intention was to go with materials that matched the Burton castle but when I saw the materials on Keyshot I couldn't find any that I really loved on the model. I choose to go with plastic materials I choose varying roughnesses. The main color I went with was a light grey for the main part of the castle, for the spires I choose different shades of blue for depth, to add a contrasting color for some accents I went with yellow/gold plastic. The window was a glass material that shows through the castle walls. I limited the materials I used to create unity throughout the piece. The lighting I used was basic lighting, it was able to show reflections in the castle due to the different roughness of the plastics.    

Edits

I added a base and a snow globe over the castle, both a ghosted and rendered view are shown with and without the globe. I changed the original yellow color on one of the spires to blue, I used a polar array to add more details and adjusted the size, and I edited the bridge from overlapping the main part of the building.

Previous Model

No comments:

Post a Comment